Sunday, March 15, 2009

NiNi and the Rat

So yesterday was quite interesting...

After a day of laying by the pool we decided to adventure out into the streets near our hotel in Sanur. The first part of the day we went to only 3 shops - first we bought some sunglasses (imperative) and the last shop we spent about 2 hours there trying on clothes and talking with the owner - I think Linda has a new wardrobe.

Because it was so hot, we decided to take a break and get some drinks at a local restaurant (I had a fruit punch, 2 bottles of water and a fanta in about 5 minutes). After lunch we walked along the ocean and were able to watch some locals swimming and fishing - it is pretty funny because the men wear their helmets out into the water - so you see all these guys in waist deep water with scooter helmets on.

After we walked for awhile longer we hit the pool again and then showered and decided to go out shopping again and then grab some dinner - - this is where the night gets exciting!

As we walked the downtown streets of Sanur we encountered the typical responses from the shop owners "looking, looking - come inside, I have more" for the most part we would just briefly scan the shop and then move along. Until we came across NiNi. NiNi is a Balinese man about 6 feet tall (tall for Bali), fairly good looking, nice teeth, wearing a blue t-shirt and jean shorts, clearly homosexual, and speaks with a very interesting voice where all of his pronunciation goes to the end of his words. Also he starts most statements with "Darling, trust me" We got roped into that shop faster then lightening and on a few occasions I had to walk to another area just to not laugh.

So NiNi started by saying to me "Oh Darling, you better be very careful you backpack is about to break" (anytime you see NiNi talking think: accent with higher pitched male voice and emphasis on the last word, oh and typically some sort of hand gesture).

It was true by bag was about to break so I followed NiNi to the back of his story where he pulled out a back and proceeded to pull down every single one he had and would try one on himself and then on me and so on. Every time I would put one on he would say "Darling, trust me, it looks beautiful - NiNi wouldn't lie" he would usually step back then give the once over and say "See, don't you like"

I was kind of on the fence because I didn't really want to buy anything and so I really couldn't make up my mind. I tried to walk away for a minute to see what Linda was doing and I turned the corner and Linda was down the aisle trying on a hat that you would see worn in the rice fields and she just looked at me and shrugged - we both started laughing. So I walked back to NiNi where he gingerly whispered in my ear "I like you! How much you want to pay.." and did the Vanna White arm wave to all of the bags. Luckily Linda came around the corner at this point (not with the hat on) and had found some bracelets that she was interested in for the store - so NiNi was now leeched on to Linda. At somepoint in the conversation he asks our names which really didn't matter as he either called us Linda (both of us) or Darling for the rest of the time we were there.

As Linda looked through the bracelets, NiNi and I started talking a little more and he asked "Darling, where are from" when I said America - he put his hand (dramatically) on his chest and said "California" I said "No, actually Washington" at which point I thought I saw NiNi at his most excited - he yelped and jumped up and said something while looking up at the ceiling and said "Darling, I have a friend in Washington" and he then proceeded to show me her picture but only for a quick minute and he was back to selling.

As I couldn't make my mind up about the bag, I told him I wanted to wait and think about it while we had dinner and then would come back - NiNi gave me a frown until I said sorry and he chippered up and said "Its okay" and wondered back to Linda.

Linda finished up and we decided we were going to go to dinner - so Linda asked NiNi where he thought we should go - he said "oh darling, I will walk you to the place it is good, other ones (he leaned into Linda's ear) will make you sick (he was rubbing his belly at this point as well)" So we finished up and NiNi's says "NiNi want to give you (he holds up a bracelet to Linda) and then grabs another and runs over to me and says "for you too, darling" (at which point he steps back and slaps his arms to his side - like a cheerleader - and says "Hmmppf" walks back to Linda and hugs her and kisses her. Satisfied with himself, he walks us to a nearby restaurant and we sit down for dinner. (Don't worry our time with NiNi is not over yet..)

So we walk in and we are absolutely the only people in the restaurant, but we both decided -what the hell, we should just go for it. We order some drinks (only water and a sprite this time) and each ordered some calamari. As we are waiting for the food, we are chit chatting - mostly about NiNi, until Linda's eyes get really big and she gasps - she then says "I just saw a rat!" I instantly put my feet up and it takes all of my willpower not to scream and run out. Linda says "its okay - the food is fine, its fried, don't worry, the rat will leave us alone". In mind head, I am thinking - "is she out of her mind! while also telling myself don't make a big deal out of it" So we stay (I know crazy) and get our food and start to eat until Linda gasps again and I turn around and see the rat running from behind the refrigerator to outside of the restaurant. I look at Linda - she kind of laughs and we get the hell out of there.

After we leave the rat's home we head back to NiNi's shop to pick up our stuff and we both decide that we should buy the bags he has because we need something stronger and with a zipper for Hong Kong. When we walk in NiNi's says "darlings, you already had dinner" we just politely say yes and then go back to where the bags are displayed. We each pick one out and ask NiNi "how much for two" NiNi steps back and says (with hand on his chest) "NiNi not going to tell you, you tell me how much you want to pay" Linda threw something out there and NiNi said "okay Linda" at which point we both received hugs and kisses and then Linda says "I just have to do one thing" and she looks at NiNi takes her pointer finger and touches his nose and says "boop" (for those of you that have seen Step Brothers you will appreciate that gesture more - but either way it was hilarious). Oh and by the way when Linda was moving her hand toward NiNi's nose he closed his eyes. After the first "boop" NiNi looked at Linda like - what the heck?!? Linda tried to explain the movie to him and he started laughing and was like "oh I know (he didn't)" but Linda booped him again and (this is where I saw him most excited) NiNi graciously received the boop and then legs together bent at the knees, lowered down and wiggled his way back up with a little jump at the end and "hee" came out of his mouth. We were all cracking up at this point - NiNi then gave us free beach bags and invited us over to his house and said "NiNi has nice car" Of course we declined the offer, but we will definitely remember NiNi always...

So today - Linda went off with Mr. Patra to finish up her shopping/store stuff and I decided to stay back at the hotel. Now I am off to lay in the sun until I can't stand it anymore (likely 5 mins)

Tomorrow is our last full day in Bali before we are off to Hong Kong and then home. I will tried to write at least once more before we get back on Friday.

See ya.

1 comment:

  1. Okay I officially love NiNi!! RAT....not so much! Love ya....Aunt Amy

    ReplyDelete